Pond!

Pond!

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Cold

The weather continues cold, cold, colder.  For people that can count on frigid, below-freezing temperatures in the winter I realize that this is nothing.  But for us, in the land of thin jackets and lemon trees, a number like 22 degrees Fahrenheit is literally and figuratively numbing.

This afternoon, when I got home from school, I decided that the hens, in their uninsulated coop,  could not be left another night without additional warmth.  So I ran an extension cord from the barn to the coop and hooked up a heat lamp from the chain of their feeder.  My own heart warmed up and grew happy when I saw the rosy light shining from the crack at the bottom of the door of their coop.










When I peeked in, my dear hens, perched among the rafters, looked supremely happy in their new coziness.

It's the little things.




While I was at it, I also set up a heat lamp in stall #3 of the barn where the four geese are penned at night.  They probably have enough fat to insulate them from the frostiest of nights, but it comforted me to warm their space too.




Tomorrow night, it's supposed to snow (!) and Saturday night is forecast to get down to 19 degrees F.  Cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment