Pond!

Pond!

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve Morning


This is the sight that greeted me out the back door this morning.  What greater blessing than a sunrise such as this?

Yesterday was mixture of happiness and sorrow.  I went down to Stockton to have lunch with daughter Liz at a small Vietnamese diner.  Over steaming bowls of noodle soup, we had the kind of warm conversation that fills the heart.  Love will do that.  This makes me realize that such a feeling is right up there with  the glow of a dawn sunrise.

After leaving her, I drove to Costco to pick up a small microwave to replace the one above our stove that broke.  The parking lot was packed and teeming with cars, shopping carts and people hurrying about.  Inside the store was even worse.  However, rather amazingly, all around me people were being kind -- smiles, offers to help me lift the microwave box, and patience with good grace in the long lines.  Another blessing.

And then, as I stood in line in the midst of the noise and bustle of Costco, my phone rang and it was my principal telling me that one of our 4th grade students had been in a car accident.  Her head was badly injured and she had been airlifted to the hospital in Davis for surgery.  As of last night, the outlook (short of a miracle) is bleak.

This morning when I got up, I checked my phone and email for any updates.  No news.  So I went outside in my bathrobe and spent some time with this golden Christmas sunrise.  A blessing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment