Pond!

Pond!

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Broccoli Feast

At the end of yesterday's walk, with the rain pelting down, I stopped and considered the broccoli in the upper garden's raised beds.  The twelve tiny plants that I'd put in sometime last fall are only slightly bigger, but they're bravely putting out miniature heads. Bruce was on his way down to Stockton to bring Mama up to stay the night, so I decided that we would start our dinner with this broccoli.










First, I had to battle my way through the ducks who desperately wanted into the garden. 














Once through the duckish gauntlet, I carefully picked the delicate heads.












I made homemade mayonaise with a whisk and one of our own chicken's egg yolks.  It beat up very quickly. 



Hmmm...I don't suppose that this looks terribly delicious -- but it was. 

There is such a feeling of satisfaction in serving up simple fare that was, in most part, grown right here.

4 comments:

  1. I love broccoli,in fact I love all veg.Your garden looks so organized,it must keep you very busy.
    I have never made mayonnaise,mine always comes out of a jar,you must tell me how you make it,home made sounds so much better.
    Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gardening in the wet... one of my pet hates!!!!! rain is for ducks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn, the garden does have those rare, thin slices of time when it looks organized -- but mostly it's anarchy in there! :)

    Making mayo's straightforward, although I didn't whip mine up to the fluffiness that many insist upon. Tasted good, though. Try Googling "Cooks Illustrated" and type in "Master Mayonnaise Recipe". If you can't get it and still want the recipe, I'll be very happy to send it to you.

    Thank you for joining my site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One word for you, John Grey -- Quack!

    ReplyDelete