Pond!

Pond!

Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Week

This week I feel like I never quite got my momentum up to where it needed to be to break even -- I was a day late and a dollar short across the board.  It didn't help that my alarm clock appears to be broken.  I think.  Most mornings it's failed to go off, but some mornings it surprised me and did.  On the mornings that it didn't ring, I arrived at school in a dash, ten minutes before the first bell.  On the mornings that it did ring, I still was late because I couldn't seem to get out the door.  It was like that.  And then this morning, when I actually managed to make it in only a little later than I should have, a substitute teacher walked in and I discovered that I was due to attend a Curriculum Council meeting at the district office in ten minutes.  Luckily, I have a very competent sub who was able to make sense out of my hasty, last minute lesson plan.  In the end, everything worked out just fine, but I don't like this flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants way I've gotten through the week.

On the positive side, I've had a brisk walk up and down hills with the dogs every evening after I got home.  I've decided that getting my body back in shape must be my personal prime directive.  Nonetheless, most evenings when I get home, my first thoughts are intense inner conversations on how to get out of walking, and why I shouldn't walk, and why that's OK.  Then I grit my teeth, change, put on my walking shoes and head on out the door.  In the last seven days, I've logged a little over eight miles.  This may not be much, but for me it's quite an accomplishment.  Some evenings I've gotten home so late that I had to walk by moonlight.  Last night the moon had not yet risen, so the stars lit my way.  I'll admit that I really don't like this whole walking thing -- I'm bored and tired and have actually gained weight (what's with that?) since I started.  But...with each passing day I'm gradually feeling so much more alive and limber that I'm determined to keep it up.  My friends tell me that I'm doing great and not to expect anything like weight loss yet.  I decided that even if I don't end up losing any weight at all, I'd rather be plump and fit than thin and weak.

All things being equal, though, I'd rather be thin and fit and looking like a very slightly more mature Scarlett Johansson.  Just saying. And it could happen -- because this is, after all, my birthday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment