Pond!

Pond!

Monday, January 9, 2012

My Birthday

Today is my birthday.  The day is almost over, and I must say that this has been the best birthday I've had in a long time.  Somehow, some way, something has changed within myself and I'm enjoying being alive again.  I've finally come to understand that my cancer year took a long time for me to get over -- and not just in a physical way.  Perhaps it doesn't need to be analyzed too much -- I'm just feeling strong, happy and extremely grateful to love and be loved.  Fifty-seven as an age is working very well for me!

This afternoon I came home to find this drawing that my brother, Michael, in Austria sent to me (along with an absolutely charming drawing from my niece).  Mama had given it to him at one time and he thought that she had drawn it, but actually it was a picture that I drew when I was a child.  He'd been trying to find the perfect card to send me for my birthday and wound up unwittingly sending me a picture I myself had drawn!  Michael has always been able to do things like this...

What pleases me as much as anything else about this is realizing how very little my loves have changed over the span of half a century (!).  Even way back then, that skinny, little girl with crooked pigtails was busily creating a Frogpond Acres sort of place with her stick pen dipped in ink.
Even then, I knew! 

No comments:

Post a Comment