Pond!

Pond!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Ruts




A view of the rut from the top of the drive that was carved into our driveway from Sunday's rain.  For my little Honda Fit, it's like crossing the Grand Canyon - the steep sides perfectly cradling its dinky tires.  Getting back out is a scramble as we send gravel flying.

If I was a kid, this new gorge down the drive would be too tempting to pass up.  I'd be out there with a hose, creating plunging mini-rapids, with maybe a dam or two to keep things interesting.

Instead, we've contracted the guys at the local rock and gravel place to come and spread several tons of gravel.  They should be here within the next few weeks and it will cost several thousand dollars .  Until then, the Honda and I will continue to gracefully lurch across our rut.
Speaking of ruts...
at the bottom of our drive, the dogs and I turned right, walked down the road about 1/8 mile, climbed over our lower gate and passed on to the neighbor's serpentine path for our normal walk. 

Same walk; same woods; same rosy winter sunset; same dark-barked lichen covered oaks.  I'm wondering if perhaps this is beginning to sound like a rut.



 For no particular reason that I can think of (OK, there's one angry parent at school who springs to mind), lately I've been feeling tired and disheartened with the whole teaching profession.  This happens to me periodically throughout the year, so I don't get too wound up when this hits.  I know that this feeling will pass and my equilibrium will return.  But when I'm in this dark place, even mustering up the energy to put on my boots and set off for an evening walk is just about at my limit. 

I'm glad I went.  The light in the sky was amazing -- I didn't think that my little camera would capture it, but it did.






















Tonight as we walked, a great horned owl called down to us from the treetops.  These owls have the classic melodic, low-toned hoots that sound like, "Whoo-who-who-whoo!  Whoo-who-who-whooo!"  A sad sort of song that matched my mood, yet made me feel better.  Owls will do that.

At the end of our walk, there were the llamas hanging around the path (I think they were waiting for us).  Whenever we come up, they always gaze at us with such startled goofy looks, yet seem to enjoy the interaction. 




OK, so I ask you -- just how much of a rut can you be in if you get to pass this on your nightly walk???









No comments:

Post a Comment