Pond!

Pond!

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Real Rain at Last

It rained gently, but steadily, for most of the night and our weather station rain gauge reads at 0.9". That's pretty good for here.  I'd wake up periodically and kneel on my pillows to look and listen at the high window that's above our bed.  I can't think of a sweeter sound than the pattering of raindrops. By this morning, the sun was off-and-on peeking through the clouds, but we have a good chance for another storm tomorrow.

Today I was required to attend a series of science workshops at our County Office of Education.  I did a pretty good job (I think) of maintaining a good attitude about having to go to school on a Saturday, but I sure didn't want to climb into the car to drive down to Stockton on my day off.  Especially since all I really wanted to do was wander about the pond, hills and garden, admiring all the new lovely mud and puddles.  Instead, I sat inside a mostly windowless building for the entire day, listening to speakers talk about the wonders of the natural world.  Life does have its little ironies.





By the time I got home again, it was almost four o'clock.  As I drove up the drive, I was welcomed by a magnificent mass of clouds over Gopher Ridge, with the sun streaming from behind them.  I ran inside and grabbed my camera and the clouds were kind enough to maintain most of their glory until after I'd clicked their portraits. 










Bruce had a big pot of beef-barley soup on the stove and the house smelled delicious.  So, after the clouds, that was my second big welcome home.



Out in the laundryroom, the four cats were meowing and milling around their food dishes, impatiently waiting to be fed.  Welcome number three.

                                                  Frogpond -- it's wonderful to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment