Pond!

Pond!

Friday, January 13, 2012

A Safe Little Space

The end of a massively tiring week and, hardly surprisingly, I'm feeling massively tired.  I stayed at school later than I'd planned because I'd forgotten that I have a new student coming next week.  When a new child walks through the door for the first time, I like to have their desk ready with books, name tag, journal, and pencil (mechanical, because they're the classroom faves) -- it's their own safe little space that's been created for them alone.  I do think it helps.

When I got home, my old rolling crate was so heavy with books and papers, that when Bruce lifted it from the trunk,  the bottom finally dropped right out.  Everything spilled in a jumbled mountain onto the carport and what little organization had been in that crate was gone in an instant.  A Christmas candy cane and 2 red M&M's fell out from the papers.  Their presence (I remembered them from well before the holidays), along with the remains of my busted-apart crate,  has given an unequivocal mandate for me to catch up with my paperwork.  I will do this.  Tomorrow.  I'm feeling just a trifle unbounced right now.

The good news is that Monday is a holiday, so I have three days to allow myself to de-stress and get my equilibrium back.  So I was sitting here reading the reviews for the just-released movie "Warhorse" and found myself choking up and sniffling over it.  Now, that's the sort of movie that I admit I could never bring myself to see, but choosing now to get teary over it made me realize that it's time to take myself by the hand, lead myself away from the computer, take a nice hot shower, put on my jammies and get into bed with the New York Time's crossword puzzle. 

So, toodle-oo and off I go.  I do love Friday evenings when I'm back in my own safe little space -- my Frogpond.
I think I'll be spending some time with my own baby warhorse tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment