Pond!

Pond!

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Planting Bulbs




This is me set for planting bulbs with everything needed for the job:

cat, bulbs, gardening gloves, trowel, planting guide and a cold beer (not necessarily ranked in that order). 


I was soon joined by two more cats, a dog and a white chicken (not in picture).  It can never be said that I lack adequate supervision. 

While these photos would give one reason to assume I didn't get much done in the bulb-planting department, amazingly I got most of them in the ground. 

   50 Species Tulips & 3 Foxtail Lilies



100 Mixed Green Tulips

30 Brodiaea and 50 Calochortus

For the trees by the pond, Bruce brought down a scoop of our very best compost, wriggling with worms and a rich, black color.  If these bulbs don't thrive, it won't be for want of trying.  I'd hoped to get all of the bulbs planted today, but ran out of energy as the sun began to go down.  I still have 3 peonies and 15 lilies to go -- still, that's pretty good progress. 
I watered each bed thoroughly before moving on to the next.  This took quite a while because the earth is so very dry.  The weather forecast shows no sign of any wet weather in the coming week.  The pond continues to shrink and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that we get a deluge or two before long.  Time to get out there and do a rain dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment