Pond!

Pond!

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tulips





It doesn't seem quite in character for me, but I have a thing for green-streaked tulips.  I find them irresistible.  Last autumn I bought an assortment of several hundred and tucked them in our center bed.  There they have to fight it out with the poppies and other wildflowers, but they do pretty well.





























Species Tulips: Not green, but adorable anyway










The tulip blooming time here is so fleeting.  I come home from school in the late afternoons and do my best to get in a full day's worth of admiration in the short time remaining before the sun sets.

4 comments:

  1. I can not recall having seen green streaked tulips,they are very pretty,I can see why you like them.We are so high up,tulips do not fair well here,the daffodils thrive well,but delicate flowers do not.

    I have to go away for a week and will not have the internet,will catch up with your posts when I get back.
    Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, it's always so nice hearing from you! I'm surprised that tulips don't do well in Ireland - I assumed that if tulips did well in The Netherlands, they'd thrive in Ireland. Obviously I'm not understanding something very basic. I guess I've always thought of Ireland as having a rather temperate and benign climate -- in other words, perfect for tulips.

    Wishing you a safe and happy trip and I look forward to your return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I made it seem as if tulips do not grow in Ireland,they do,in town the tulips have put on a wonderful display,It is the locality I live in,on a wind swept mountain,high above sea level,that they do not thrive.
      Must dash ,have a boat to catch,Have a Happy Peaceful Easter.
      Carolyn.

      Delete
  3. First of all, I'm jealous -- I've never gotten to dash to catch a boat in my life. It sounds like fun! I hope you blog a bit about your adventures when you get back.

    I'm smiling -- in some ways I'm as literal as my 4th graders. Thank you for taking the time to explain about the tulips. Caroline, you are the one and only person I know who actually lives in Ireland. Thus I equate anything you say about where you live with the entire country. {Umm...does this also mean that everyone in Ireland does _not_ live in a castle???} :)

    ReplyDelete