Pond!

Pond!

Friday, April 6, 2012

Only in California...

To begin, this definition from Wikopedia OnLine Dictionary:

veg·e·tar·i·an/ˌvejiˈte(ə)rēən/


Noun:
A person who does not eat meat, and sometimes other animal products, esp. for moral, religious, or health reasons.

So now we are clear on exactly what a vegetarian is.  This brings us to this egg carton:


Yoiks!  The Niman Ranch hens are fed a diet of vegetarians - as stated right on the label.  The fine print also says that this is sustainable and humane.  Now I don't mean to question the folks at Niman Ranch, but I've watched my chickens attack the scraps on our compost heap, as well as the occasional unfortunate mouse that is in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Not humane in the least.  And as for sustainable...well, we do have a lot of vegetarians in California, but chickens are hearty eaters and I imagine that the supply of willing vegetarians will be dwindling rather quickly. 

It's also interesting to note that these eggs from vegetarian-fed hens are Kosher (note the "U" in the circle).  I don't know what to think about that.  I'm assuming that my own troupe of cannibalistic, rodent-eating, compost devouring hens would not be able to earn that "U".  Definitely not Kosher. 

However, I can guarantee that any vegetarian who comes to visit is safe at Frogpond Acres and will be able to leave alive and in one piece.  At least, this is what the hens tell me...

































                                                                








 

4 comments:

  1. that chicken photo would make a wonderful header!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...chickens do have a way of adding a touch of refinement to any page they grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post reminded me of the question-- which came first ,the chicken or the egg.?

    I have a friend who is Vegan,no meat or any animal derivatives at all,he told me that if an egg is fertilized it contains meat.!! So if a vegetarian eats eggs that are fertilized they are consuming the developing embryo. Food for thought.????
    Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn, welcome back! Your interesting comment sent me clicking over to Wikipedia -- it appears that dietary(as opposed to ethical) vegans avoid eggs (fertile or otherwise)because they're animal products, and thus bad for human health. Research does seem to support this claim.

    However, I must add that my own dear hens are decidedly omnivorous and will eat eggs at every opportunity -- and they appear to be radiant with good health... :)

    ReplyDelete