Pond!

Pond!

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Cutting Trails

Today the temperature reached 89 degrees -- that's record breaking heat for this time of year.  The weeds are going insanely nuts, Bruce has been mowing like crazy and I'm weeding like there's no tomorrow. 

Today Bruce got on the Kubota tractor and cut trails -- without them, the stickers are so bad that the fields are almost impassable. 









My job was to go ahead to guide the tractor and scout for rocks sticking out of the ground. 

I multi-tasked and dug up thistles as I waited for Bruce to chug along to where I was -- we must have let a lot of them go to seed last year, because there are LOTS of them.  The biggest clumps are clustered beneath trees, but they also are endlessly scattered throughout the hills.  I kept at it until Bruce had to go up for more diesel for the Kubota.  Then, hot and tired, I called it a day down there and came back up to the house to get some water and do some gardening.  There, I was greeted by the robust crop of thistles that are encircling the house. 


For all the people who actually pay money to gyms in order to use their fancy equipment for that all-important and scientifically targeted upper-body workout, I have this to say:  Come up to Frogpond.  Please.  I will hand over a shovel and point you to the nearest clump of thistles. 

2 comments:

  1. We own and love our Kubota tractor as well. We wosh though we had a pond like yours. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, around here, we call our Kubota "the other woman" -- I think my husband would keep it in the living room if it would fit through the door!

    ReplyDelete