Pond!

Pond!

Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Power Pole Poppies


Earlier this week a nice young man from the power company came to clear the vegetation from around our main power pole, which sits just outside our orchard garden.  I understand the need to keep brush away from the poles with transformers on them, but it's unfortunate that we must have a 10 foot radius of blasted earth right outside a garden (I wish we'd thought about this before we sited it there).

This year I hand weeded most of the area around the pole myself before anyone from the power company came.  However I couldn't bring myself to pull up the two thriving poppy plants growing almost right up against the pole.

When the power company guy came up to the house to tell me he was here, I told him that I'd already cleared most of the weeds.  He said that he'd seen this and that he wouldn't need to do much.  So I said a silent goodbye to the poppies and forgot about it.

Later, when I went out to the garden, this is what greeted me: everything bare and well-nuked... except for my poppies.  Other than a few scattered petals, they were as firmly and robustly planted as ever.










It's a little thing, but a happy sort of victory just the same.  Bless you for leaving them, nice man from the power company!

No comments:

Post a Comment