Pond!

Pond!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Weaving and a Christmas Kiss

Today went by quickly.  By the end of the day, I'd woven 35 inches of  a scarf project on my loom, cleared away all of the dry weeds from the front of the drive and hung a Christmas wreath by the gate.  The weaving took three hours, and clearing the dead brush took several more.  Hanging the wreath only took about 2 minutes, but since this job was also on the list, I get to mention it too.  Not on the list was the game of cribbage with Bruce, the nap, working on the NY Times crossword puzzle, and watching two episodes of Anthony Trollope's "Barchester Towers."  I don't mind allowing myself to stray from the list -- it was a relaxing day.



Here is completed scarf #1.  Wrestling the warp onto the loom was frustrating and very slow.  The variegated purple and turquoise stripes are chenille and that stuff is the devil to work with -- clinging to everything and twisting and knotting like crazy.  I couldn't get it to wind on with an even tension and had to completely unwind it and start over.  When I finally got it all tied on and began actually weaving, one of the chenille threads broke and I had to splice in a repair thread.  But once I got all of these problems  settled, the rest went uneventfully.  This is a long warp, so I have a second scarf to weave before I can cut them both off and finish them.  I plan on giving them as Christmas presents, so completing them is the first thing on tomorrow's list.  We'll see how it goes.


No pictures of clearing the brush, but here is Zelda giving me a kiss after I'd hung up the wreath. 





No comments:

Post a Comment