Pond!

Pond!

Monday, December 26, 2011

Boxing Day

We had a quiet sort of day.  Bruce has come down with a cold -- no doubt helped into being by his chilly Christmas Eve visits to the well.  He spent a good part of the day on the bed while I began my next weaving project.  The loom is set up in the bedroom and most of the time I wish I had a separate weaving studio.  But today I was happy to have the company of a bear (even a sick one).



My new project is the most challenging (and expensive) one I've attempted in a long time.  It's for yet another scarf, but this one will be woven from a silk/wool blend yarn that's incredibly soft and lustrous.  The jewel colors on the cones will be woven into rectangle shapes framed by black.  This pattern uses all 8 harnesses of my loom and is a rather complicated twill.  I'm double-checking all my numbers and threading the loom very carefully.  It's one thing to make a mistake with a cheap yarn like rayon, but quite another to wreck up fiber from cones that are almost $15 each. 


We have a neighbor, Faye, who is elderly, small and feisty.  She has a poodle named Muffin, who is also elderly, small and feisty.  Yesterday Faye stopped by for a glass of wine and a visit before going down the hill for dinner with friends (Muffin didn't come -- the cats were grateful).  I don't see Faye often, but I always enjoy our get-togethers.  We made quite the pair as we sat on the sofa together:  Faye all decked out in gold and bling and wearing tiny sparkly high heels.  Me in my comfy gray stretch pants and sheepskin slippers. 

We'd sent her one of our Cornelius Christmas cards and she told me something that had me laughing.  She confessed that she's taken to feeding Corny carrots.  She now buys them in five pound bags and sounded a bit bemused as she told me that Corny now comes running whenever he sees her.  I should think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment