Pond!

Pond!

Friday, December 30, 2011

The Hobbit Hole

Our neighbors with the llamas are only up here sporadically -- they live and work in the Bay area, so most of the time the house and property are alone and unloved.  They come up here on holidays to party, target practice, and  ride noisy four-wheelers  -- I have my not-so-charitable views on this.  However, I must admit that Bob has cut some cool trails that twist through the hills and trees of their 20 acres, and we have permission to ride or walk over there any time we want to.  This has become my trail of choice when out walking because the views constantly change with every step --there is the illusion of walking somewhere way out in the woods instead of merely  in the lot next to our house.  It satisfyingly feels like I'm really going somewhere (even though, in reality,  it's just in very convoluted circles). The  path takes so many serpentine turns that it takes 35 minutes of brisk walking to do a complete circuit.  I'm thinking that this is about a mile  (I just ordered a pedometer so I can find out for sure -- I'd hate to think it took me 35 minutes to walk less than a mile). 




Just as you walk in through the gap in the fence from our property to theirs is this strange little structure dug right into the hillside.



 I'm not sure how old it is or what it was used for.  All of this land used to be part of a large ranch, so most likely it was built to store canned goods or cure meat.

 But to me it is mysterious and intriguing and I refer to it as The Hobbit Hole. 
































From inside, the view is of our lower pasture.  I'm so jealous that "my" hobbit hole is on the neighbor's property.   So unfair.




I ask you, would they really notice if I shifted the fence line 300 yards over to their side??? 


2 comments:

  1. I'd very much like to see how the ceiling is constructed. If you ever get a picture of it from inside, I'm certain I'll be back through to check. I'm thinking about putting my shovel to use, a room here and there in the back 40 would be great for hunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This structure would serve very well for a hunter, I think. It almost certainly was dug by hand. I'll post a pic I already have of the interior that shows some of the ceiling -- stay tuned!

      Delete