Pond!

Pond!

Sunday, December 11, 2011

The List

This morning started with a list.  Before I let Bruce do anything (I'm a bit of a dictator), I sat him down with me at the dining table and insisted that we put some Germanic order into the day by writing down everything that needed doing.  Bruce wrote and wrote as we thought of more and more things that needed doing.  When this was finally finished, he started with the first thing on the list that he was to do, which was cooking breakfast, while I started with the first thing that I was to do, which was to finish weaving the scarves on the loom.  I wove; he cooked; we ate; and I wove some more. And wove some more. And some more.  When the sun was casting long shadows and the day was almost over, I threw the last shot of yarn and then victoriously cut my project from the loom.

Then 45 minutes to measure, cut fringe and tidy up stray ends and, voila!, the scarves were finished.  Bruce brought out his camera and photographed them.  Actually, a  project really isn't finished until it's been washed, dried and pressed.  But I always take pictures before all of this for two reasons.  The first is because all of the experts say that it's important to have a record of a project as it looks directly from the loom; before washing and drying.  The second is because I have a pessimistic streak to my character that tells me to immortalize my work before it is possibly destroyed by washing and drying. 



The scarf on the left is in a very safe plain weave, while the scarf on the right is in huck lace, which is not supposed to be done with fuzzy yarn.  I like the scarf on the left but am absolutely in love with the one on the right, fuzzy yarn and all. 












It's hard to see in a photograph, but the threads in the lace scarf have a texture and randomness to them that somehow give the scarf a liveliness that the other scarf lacks. 







This is the plain weave scarf...














...and this is the huck lace one. 






After our photo shoot, I washed and tumble dried both scarves.  They both made it through with flying colors and, dare I say it, look prettier than ever.  I'm a happy camper.  Weaving can be a nerve-wracking endeavor because final success or failure is not apparent until the very end of the process. 

As for the list...well, now we know what we'll be doing for the next few weekends.  No worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment