Pond!

Pond!

Friday, August 9, 2013

Mystery Bloom

What a lovely surprise!  I have an old flatbed garden cart placed in front of the house loaded with pots of geraniums.  Quite obviously, there is also a pot of something other than geraniums but I don't know what it is or any of the circumstances of planting it.  I've noticed the healthy, straplike leaves reaching out of the pot for over a month.  And then this week, this is what greeted me in the very late afternoon when I was watering.



I think that it must be some kind of lily, but it is totally unfamiliar to me.  Such a delicate, sweet smelling flower -- very unlike anything else blooming here in August.  I just wish I could remember what it is..

2 comments:

  1. Whatever the flower is, it is so beautiful! Always so nice to have a surprise blooming in the garden in August. I think it is a type of sand lily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up sand lily (I'd never heard of these before) and my flower does look like the ones in the pictures...until I read that the plant only grows about 4" high and the leaves have toothed margins. So I still don't know what it is. But you're right, even as a mystery, it's very pretty anyway.

    ReplyDelete