Pond!

Pond!

Monday, November 5, 2012

Hens and Chicks

After a summer of having the place overpopulated with poultry of every sort; scratching in the garden, dropping feathers all over, pooping on the porch and laying way too few eggs, it's nice to have a different sort of hens and chicks. This succulent has been quietly growing on the back deck all summer long -- no trouble to anyone. Last weekend, the red tupelo leaves carelessly scattered upon the grey-green leaves sang out every time I passed by them.

This beauty is destined to be ephemeral:  our first frost may hit next weekend.  All my frost-tender plants, which have summering outside, will have to be brought indoors for the winter.  They always look more sedate indoors -- it's obvious that they much prefer to live an uncivilized life sheltered under the trees.  I think they're on to something.

I learned that I must have report cards finished by this Thursday.  I'm contemplating setting up camp beneath a tree somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment