Pond!

Pond!

Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Last Week of School

I've missed my little blog!  All of the activity that crashes up in one last frenzied rush during these last few days of the school year has descended.  I'm staying barely a step ahead of every deadline as it looms right ahead of me.  In addition to the usual flurry of activity involving report cards, boxing up books, sending names of student award winners to the office, buying gifts for parent volunteers, etc, etc, etc, another was added: the other 4th grade teacher and I (in a moment of questionable sanity) decided that putting on a musical production would be a good idea.  So we got to add play tryouts, rehearsals, scenery, shopping for props, costumes, more rehearsals, cleaning out the old cafeteria (which turns into the general "junk" room because it isn't often used), moving in risers for the children to stand on, printing out programs, setting up a sound system and rehearsing yet again.  We had lovely parent help, but, in the end, we still had a lot of extra things on our lists of things to do.  We gave four performances over the past three days.  They were well-received by an appreciative audience (parents are a pretty easy crowd to please - especially when their kid is in a sea star costume).

I wish that I could post a picture of the students in their sea creature costumes (they looked pretty cute!), but that wouldn't be a good idea.  So here is a portion of our stage.  It doesn't look like much without the stars of the show, I'm afraid.  The thing in front is a "tide pool" we constructed from paper crumpled over boxes. 

I'm beat!  And now that it's all over, we have to take it all down (but that won't be until next week).

On top of everything else, I'm on the potential juror list for another two weeks.  Tomorrow evening I call again to see if I must make the long drive to court again.  Keep fingers crossed that they give me another pass -- driving the 160 miles to Fresno would be a dismal way to begin my summer break!

No comments:

Post a Comment