Pond!

Pond!

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Farewell to Spring

We're only in the last week of May, yet spring is quite over around here.  Today the temperature is supposed to reach the mid 90's.  I've been watering them like crazy, but this heat should finish off the sweet peas which have valiantly been hanging on through this warm spring.  After transplanting them, tying them to teepees, and nursing them along through the winter, I'm sorry to have to have them leave after only these few weeks of bloom.  But, with  their fragrance and luscious colors, they would have been worth the effort, even if they'd only bloomed for a day.

I'll be pulling them all up by week's end.  As I pile them in the garden cart, I cut off as many seed pods as I can for planting next year.  Then they get dumped on the compost heap where they gradually become part of next year's soil.  I like this continuity: more of a "See you later" than a final "Good by." 

No comments:

Post a Comment