Pond!

Pond!

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Well, well, well

Yesterday afternoon I watered the gardens.  Just a normal sort of watering...ok, perhaps just a bit longer than usual.

When I turned on the faucet to wash the rice I was putting in the cooker for dinner nothing came out but the dreaded hissing sound.  No water.  Just air.

Bruce came home about an hour later and reassured me that the well would recharge soon.




It didn't.  Bruce brought in plastic jugs of water from the garage and I heated some in a pot and used this for a makeshift bath.  Not until you're taking a makeshift bath with a pot of lukewarm water with soap scum on the surface, do you realize the supreme, decadent luxury that is encompassed by the simplest of hot showers.  I was not happy when I went to bed.

I was even less happy when I woke up early this morning, turned on the faucet and, once again, was greeted by a hiss.

I sat and did schoolwork and then, oh happy day, heard the gurgle of water in the pipes leading to the hot water heater.  I had time to jump in the shower before leaving for school.



This evening we walked down to the well and I climbed up the ladder to the holding tank, unscrewed the lid and peered in.  The water had only filled upwards about one fourth of the way to the top.  The water table is so low that the recharging is very slow.  So I didn't water the garden this evening and only filled the troughs for the animals.  Hopefully, with careful conservation, the tank will refill and we won't have to pay for a tanker truck to come and pump in a load of water.


There's a 20% chance of rain on Friday.  I'm not holding my breath, but oh, I hope that it does rain.  I'm so ready for winter to begin and am hoping like crazy that it rains and rains and rains and rains...

I'm sick to death of heat and fire and drought.

To end on a more upbeat note; the moon was fine tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment