Pond!

Pond!

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Hot (but not Stinkingly)

Miracle of miracles!  When I got home from working in my classroom yesterday, the temperature was only 99 degrees!  Not quite grab a coat weather, but when the forecast was for 104, reason to celebrate. 

We even had a few sprinkles from the scrim of transluscent clouds that were helping to block the sun.  While I was watering, I couldn't figure out how droplets from the hose were managing to find their way to the top of my head.  It took a few minutes to realize that they were dropping down from the sky.  I'm brilliant!

Just before the sun set, there was even was the barest hint of a rainbow.  You have to squint your eyes in order to see it in the picture -- but it's there.






I didn't realize that a very small lizard was sitting inside the dry birdbath, so when I filled it he got a bath.  I think that he didn't mind too much, because is remained in the water with just his head above the surface for about 30 seconds.  It looked like a teeny-tiny alligator in there bobbing his head.  Naturally, he zipped out when he noticed I'd pointed my camera at him.  Cute little guy, though.








It was a subdued sunset, but lovely nonetheless. 

Today's supposed to reach 101 degrees, but even that's not so bad (better than 108 - it's all relative).  Fingers crossed that today is like yesterday.




Plum only arrived last week, but when I passed the tack room where he's been camping out I expected him to be there.  Yup, I've already grown attached. 

Bruce is on his way right now to pick him up from the vet's.  We never actually spoke to Dr. Mike, who performed the neutering operation, so he thought that Plum's horrible condition was due to our lack of care.  Aaack!!!  Dr. Mike is a very good vet (he's the same doctor who put Sarah down with such kindness last autumn) so he contacted us about this -- his voice mail was diplomatic, but we could tell he was determined to do right by Plum.  The office staff and other vet quickly let him know that Plum was a rescue who we'd only had a week and things were soon straightened out.  That was an immense relief -- I hated that anyone (even for a minute) would think that we would starve a creature in our care.  I also greatly respect Dr. Mike for making the tough call to follow up on what he originally thought was animal neglect. 

Bruce had a nice chat with him this morning prior to leaving to pick up Plum.  Dr. Mike ended by saying that Plum was a very lucky cat.  Bruce smiled and replied that we were also lucky to have Plum.  I agree.

It'll be good to get him back home where he belongs.




No comments:

Post a Comment