Pond!

Pond!

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sunday, Part 1



Squeaker and Brood

On Sunday, the day started with this.  About eleven of the setting duck's nineteen eggs hatched.  Mama and babies are doing well.  We're keeping them in stall #3 for the time being -- the last brood of babies were taken, one and all, by hawks within the first two days that they went down to the pond.  We admit that we have too many ducks, but will not feed them to hawks without a fight.  There is little cuter than a baby duck (Lord help us).






Marigolds and Phlox
 It was a good sort of Sunday.  Mama came up Saturday afternoon and spent the night. We had a nice visit and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast (prepared by our own Chef Bruce).  After she left, I planted some winter phlox in the raised bed by the house.  The frost hasn't gotten my marigolds yet and I couldn't bear to pull them up while they're still blooming.  Their time will soon come.  Until then, the phlox and marigolds can share the bed.
Then I got Corny out of the pasture, tacked him up and rode.  No pictures of this -- and I'm sorry about that, because he looked quite dapper in his new autumn-orange saddle pad.  Next time.  When I was a kid, riding simply involved jumping up onto a horse and taking off.  Now, I have to remember all sorts of stuff and getting the two of us ready for a 40 minute ride takes about 40 minutes in itself.  For Corny: grooming, hooves cleaned, saddle pads, saddle, bridle and leg wraps.  For me: tight breeches, tight socks, tight boots, tight helmet and tight gloves.  Do you see a pattern here?  Even my spurs are tight-fitting and must be wedged on.  By the time I'm ready to climb aboard, Corny looks pretty comfortable, but I feel (and, no doubt, look) a bit like a sausage.

Anyway, we had an invigorating walk-trot ride in the arena.  Tell you what, though: I was definitely feeling saddle sore today as I hobbled around school.  This is what comes when you only ride once every six months.




Corny still seems to be getting along all right as an only horse.  Yesterday I came out and discovered horse, ducks and dog just sort of hanging out and relaxing together in the afternoon sunshine.  That brought a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment