Pond!

Pond!

Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Day After a Sad Day




Today was lovely.  The tail-end of yesterday's storms were still passing through in the early morning, but by mid-morning the sun broke through. The clouds streaming by were dramatic and the light was exquisite.























I took Mary's advice to heart that I should keep Cornelius's mind occupied and pamper him.  So, to occupy his mind (and work off a bit more of his mighty gut), I brought him down to the arena and worked him on the longe line for about half hour.  With his fuzzy winter coat, he was sweating in no time. 

Afterwards, we went on to the pampering part and he and I went for a walk to see the sights.  First we went up the little hill in the area behind the arena and then took a stroll around the pond. 

 
Corny has always loved water.  When he was a baby, he and the other yearlings used to swim in the pond on hot days.  Today when we reached the water's edge, he eagerly stepped right in.  As I didn't want to play in that cold water, I let him go out as far as he could on on the end of his lead while I planted my feet on the shore.








First, he stuck his muzzle down into the water as far as it would go... The boy kept it down there for a long time as he nosed around the bottom.  He blew happy bubbles.







When he came up for air, he waded farther out; splashing the water until it turned white and frothy.





He played in the pond like a big silly water-baby for about ten minutes. Then we went back up to the house where I proceeded to give him his final bath of the year -- shampoo and all. 

Strangely, he didn't like the water coming from the hose nearly as much as the water in the pond.





I'm a little surprised (and much relieved) by how well Corny has adjusted to being an only horse.  I don't think we'll have to be in any rush to immediately find him a companion -- we can wait until the right one shows up (but I know that another one will come along).  Until then, he can hang out with his human mommy.  I think he's good with that.

Tomorrow I plan to ride.  Corny can hardly wait!

2 comments:

  1. Adam and I love the pictures of Corny splashing in the pond! He's such a sweet boy. And I'm glad the ticker website provided a good distraction for a few minutes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words. :) And I really had fun on that ticker website -- I was delighted when they had a pond scene, and when I saw the fat black cartoon horse to put into it I knew I'd hit pay dirt!

    ReplyDelete