Pond!

Pond!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Season Ambiguity

Right now, October 25, in Copperopolis, CA we're not quite sure if it's summer or autumn.  I love this "betwixt and between" time, when the old season's still hanging on for dear life and the next season hasn't quite yet committed to jumping in with both feet. 

The nights are getting cool (in the 40's), but the days are still heating up to the high 70's and low 80's. The horses are growing their fuzzy winter coats, but are sweating under their fur suits by the end of the day.  Cosmos and zinnias are still bravely sending out new blooms, but the tupelo trees are turning up the volume with leaves turning bright crimson, orange and magenta shades.  A mama duck is sitting on eggs, waiting patiently for the miracle of new life, while the whooping cranes fly overhead in their "v" formations, whistling that summer is over - call it a day.  On Sunday I had to change into shorts because I got so hot while outside planting wildflowers.  Today I wore a jacket to school because it was nippy out when I opened the door in the morning.  Season ambiguity -- I do like it.


















Aurora Borealis:
photograph by Jonathan Stone; Alabama





However...

This evening on the way home I heard a report on NPR about a rare and magnificent display of Northern Lights that just occurred and was visible as far south as Georgia.  The sky shimmered red and green for over 20 minutes, much to the delight of the local astronomers.  

Now I wish that our season included such glories.  I want Northern Lights here, right along with our pomegranates and late sunflowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment