Pond!

Pond!

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Frogpond News

I just waved goodbye to Bruce, the boys, and the two dogs as they set off for the Milton landfill.  The truck bed was filled with trash and they pulled a trailer tightly packed with dry grass and branches.  Every load that leaves makes me a little more easy.

The Detwiler Fire has grown to 75,000 acres and taken 70 homes, but is now 25% contained.  People are being allowed to return to the town of Mariposa and the news is that the firefighters have turned the corner in containing this fire.  Hopefully they will have it completely out in the next two weeks.  Here is a link to a local paper's report on it:

http://www.sierrastar.com/news/local/article163045583.html


Even though the gopher huge population around here has gone down quite a bit (we manage to kill 15-20 a day), they still are wreaking all sorts of destruction on my plants.  A ten year old scarlet trumpet vine that climbed the fence and a four year old olive tree (that had just begun bearing olives) are the latest casualties.  Gophers also finally discovered my lilies, but at least they were through blooming.  I've decided that when the gophers have been defeated, I won't replant in the areas that are farther from the house.  For some time I've realized that I've given too much time and effort trying to keep the more distant gardens alive.  As long as the trees, roses and vines were doing moderately well, I found it impossible to give up on them, but now that the gophers have had there way I'll pull them up.  If I do replant, it will be with California natives that won't require much care from me once they get established.  With a less spread out growing area, I can then devote myself to more intensively tending plants close to the house.  At least, that's the plan.

Wildfires, gophers, and a heat wave that just goes on and on -- this is certainly not the most pleasant of summers, but I'm doing my best to keep a positive outlook on things.


The last lily to bloom

Plants on the back deck - relatively safe from gophers


1 comment:

  1. I simply cannot begin to imagine such a large gopher attack on Frogpond - I think I would go nuts and you would find me sitting on the porch with a gun or out in the flowers waiting for them with a sledge hammer to play whack a gopher! Can't you just see them at night having a meeting together to determine their game plan for the upcoming day?! I am so sorry that you have lost so many plants - especially the trumpet vine and olive tree. We have had a very hard time growing a trumpet vine but have one now that is in it's third year - just waiting for some flowers.

    That fire is incredible - life altering for so many. I have a cousin that used to live in Mariposa and worked in Yosemite.

    ReplyDelete