Pond!

Pond!

Sunday, April 13, 2014

A Bird, A Bit of a Heart Attack, and a Birthday


This robin glowing in the center of the picture has been serenading me every morning as I get in my car for the mad dash down the hill to school.  I'm always magnificently late getting out the door, but the little guy's tootle-fluting up in the tree persuades me to pause anyway.  It's a good way to start the day -- and anyway, I always get to school several minutes before the first bell.

In the afternoon when I get home again, I look hopefully up to see if he's there, now that I have the time to listen properly.  But he never is -- no doubt off getting the last meal of the day for his Little Missus before tucking her in for the night.




However, I did have something greeting me from the carport when I arrived home this past Friday afternoon.

At first glance, I thought it was alive -- some sort of very large, toothy lizard on the rim of the pot next to the back door.  The fearsome thing was on its hind legs, looking like a very small dinosaur poised to kill something.  I truly believed it was alive and with this thought came a rush of adrenaline that I didn't think I had the energy to produce.

A second later I realized that I was staring goggle-eyed at a small plastic T-Rex that my darling husband had placed there.





As part of a running joke among some of his photographer friends, Bruce had ordered it as a gag-prop to place in some of his photographs.  I had even seen it when he opened the package and I laughed and commented on how lifelike it looked.  So lifelike, it turns out, that when confronted by it at the door at the end of a long week, my heart lurched and there was an instant when thoughts of how to catch or kill it raced through my mind.

Those thoughts quickly shifted from Rexy as the target to Bruce when I realized what it actually was that had scared the bejeebers out of me.   At that moment, the man in question came around the corner of the house...

Today is Bruce's birthday.  I'm happy to report that, surprising though it may seem, he was allowed to survive despite his appalling sense of what is and is not funny.  The reason for my magnanimity?




The guy can bake an awesome lemon meringue pie.  And do up the dishes afterwards.




Happy birthday, Beloved Bear!

No comments:

Post a Comment