Pond!

Pond!

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Summer Heat


The pleasant temperatures of a week ago are a thing of the past:  we are officially into hot.  The temperatures have soared into the 100's the past two days and it's supposed to reach 107 on Monday.  Hot.  Right now, at 9:30 at night, the weather gauge reads 98 degrees.  The garden's doing pretty well, though -- most of the plants are well-mulched and they've got enough leafy growth up top to shade beneath them.



The oldest plum tree has a bumper crop of fruit on it this year.  The birds have already started to feast on the partially-ripe plums -- I'll have to be quick to pick what's left as soon as they're ready.






Lately Poom has been looking scruffier than ever -- he's now covered with stickers dirt.  If I didn't know better, I'd think he was a stray.





The quince tree and rosemary bushes in the lower garden are thriving.

















The lemon tree I planted this spring was recently pruned by the deer.  It now has a wire cage around it.



I recently planted Indian corn in the front of this bed in the orchard garden.  The sun is so strong on it in the late morning that I lay reed fencing down to shade the seeds.





I peered underneath it this morning and was pleased to see that we had sprouts.












 My week two at the Writing Institute was better, although it's been good to be outside, surrounded by my little world.

No comments:

Post a Comment