Pond!

Pond!

Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Eve

There's a cooking blog that I've taken to avidly reading: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog  It's written by a woman who loves to cook, is a wonderful writer and a very nice person (funny too).  But the best part is that her recipes are FABULOUS.  She plays around with other people's recipes and tweaks them until they raise to the level of sublime.  I know this because we've already tried several of them and have swooned at every bite. 

Tonight, for our humble New Year's Eve feast, it was Smitten Kitchen's Potato Latkes.  Bruce grated the potatoes, chopped the onions, and fried them up while I graciously set the table, lit the candle and put out the Scrabble board.  (Later, I also washed the dishes. But must admit that he cleaned the stove.  I also beat him at Scrabble.  But only by 14 points)  I'm so blessed to be married to a man who likes to cook and who puts up with me!
 I give to you (but not really -- it's all mine, mine, mine!!!): a potato latke with a dollop of creme fraiche topped by a generous spoonful of salmon caviar.  The melding of these flavors is amazing -- the creaminess of the creme fraiche along with the crisp potato and then the salty zing of the caviar is like edible music to the taste buds.  I'm just saying.

Bruce and I will be long asleep before that big ball falls at Time's Square.  But happy New Year to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment