Pond!

Pond!

Monday, February 13, 2012

A Little More Rain

Today it rained.  For places where the rain falls regularly and sometimes, perhaps, inconveniently, this may not seem something to be trumpeting to the heavens.  But trumpeting I am!  Because rain is so cherished and needed in this dry, dry place where the summers are scorching and everything suffers from drought.  This evening I heard on NPR that this is the driest winter we've had since they began keeping records in the 1940's.  That's dry.  When we have a dry winter, the water table lowers and by July our well cycles off because the water isn't there.  I've been worried that this coming summer might be a bad one -- I'm still concerned, but have the hope that a rainy pattern might develop before summer arrives. 

This morning, while my students were writing in their journals, I played some Native American rain dance drum music.  I wondered if this might help the rain come down.  The children thought that it would.  I think that they might have been right.  Rain it did!

No comments:

Post a Comment