Pond!

Pond!

Monday, September 26, 2011

Duck Dinner

And so this saga ends (more for one of the participants than the others).   I wish that I'd thought to take a picture before Bruce carved the bird up.  I didn't even put a sprig of decorative parsley on it (it was getting late).  Muscovy duck tastes very good -- truly more like a very delicate beef than poultry.  We just roasted it very simply with a sauce of butter, drippings and white wine.  I'm thinking that it would also taste good smoked.  Or with a savory sauce. 

I'm still of very mixed feelings about the whole thing.  It is such an odd, unsettling thing to eat one's own animals.  Logic, though, tells me that by doing our own butchering, all we did was cut out all the middlemen who do it for us.  This will just get some getting used to.

Tonight I had a can of warm soup for dinner because I went to the dentist today to have a temporary crown put on a molar that broke last week.  As a surprise bonus, while he was at it, the dentist also pulled the neighboring wisdom tooth that had caused the original problem.  Oof -- I've seen entirely too much blood these past few days... 

No comments:

Post a Comment