Pond!

Pond!

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Goodby to the Rainy Season...Such as it Was



Last year at this time, the pond was about 2/3 full.  I was disappointed, but pragmatic.  It was full enough for the frogs and turtles to exist comfortably for most of the hot summer.




This year, at what should be the height of the bounty of the rainy season, the pond is very near empty.  It is going to be a long, sad summer.  


The little water that is there is stagnant and smells bad.  And there is no evidence of a single frog.  Every spring since I've lived here has been heralded by the strident chorus of bullfrogs croaking and tussling throughout the night.  This  spring, the pond is utterly silent.  Not one frog.  
There is an irony in having a blog called "Frogpond Chronicles" without either frogs or pond.  I suppose I could call it "Hole in the Ground Chronicles", but that sounds depressingly like a grave.  So I've decided that this summer I'll keep going with the promise of rain and frogs and a pond to come.  

I'll keep the faith.




No comments:

Post a Comment