Pond!

Pond!

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Liking Lichen



It's been several weeks since I walked up the hill of our property.  When the dogs and I went over there yesterday, we looked out across the little valley and saw....green!  There may not be much yet, but it's cause for much joy to see the grass doing its best to bound upward.


Over on the opposite side of the property another kind of growth is flourishing on the tombstone shale (called this for obvious reasons).  The lichens that call the shale "home" are outdoing themselves in their efforts to decorate every surface with their own colorful selves.



















































I've read that lichen grows extremely slowly.  The ones on these rocks have been at it for a very long time.

Whenever I make it over to pay them a visit, I feel sort of badly that I do it so infrequently.  They are a treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment