Pond!

Pond!

Thursday, December 31, 2015

The Twelve Days of Christmas: The Sixth Day

Apparently, the Sixth Day of Christmas is also New Year's Day Eve.  Who knew?  I woke up early, fed the cats and brought my coffee back to bed where I got crawled back in (still warm) to read and sip in comfort.  Bliss (after I retire, I plan to start every day this way).

The book in my hands this morning was A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L'Engle.  The blurb on the back of the book describes it thus:  "I know it will give great consolation to ordinary people who sometimes wonder why they bother to get out of bed in the morning." -- Jean Kerr

Even though I knew why I'd bothered to get out of bed on this particular morning (e.g., to feed the cats before they attacked and to get my coffee), this author's words are a consolation and a revelation.    She says that some things can only be understood intuitively rather than in terms of provable fact.  "An infinite question is often destroyed by finite answers"  is one sentence that sang true.  Another was, "The deeper and richer a personality is, the more full it is of paradox and contradiction."  These quotes don't seem to mean much out of context...or do they?




Anyway, when, three cups later, I got out of that toasty bed, I felt consoled.  Enough, in fact, to get dressed and go outside in the frosty morning to take pictures of the last sunrise of the year.












No comments:

Post a Comment