Pond!

Pond!

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Jars of Summer




My three boxes of tomatoes from the produce stand in the valley have been dealt with.  Canning up 63 pounds of tomatoes didn't seem like it would be such a marathon (when will I learn?), but I found myself up to my elbows in tomatoes all Sunday afternoon and again on Monday after I got home from school.





Monday's tomato session lasted until a quarter past eleven that night.  Whoever came up with the saying that time flies when you're having fun surely wasn't thinking about washing, boiling, peeling, quartering, simmering, and ladling out tomatoes.


 But time definitely flew by as I labored in the kitchen -- I was astounded when I looked at the clock and realized that I'd been canning tomatoes for the past six hours.



I was beat when I fell into bed that night, but I slept the sleep of the virtuous:





We now have 26 quarts of crushed and stewed tomatoes in the cupboard.
































Opening the jars in December and January will be like tasting summer.  Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment