Pond!

Pond!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Blackberry Wine

The second day of 4th grade has been successfully navigated.  Even after meeting with our principal and the other 4th grade teacher plus then getting my room ready for tomorrow, I still managed to get home 45 minutes earlier than yesterday. 





Ahh, all the reason needed to celebrate with a glass of wine and a leisurely stroll around the pond.

(I notice that there appear to be interesting green "floaties" dangling in my wine.  Not so.  In reality, this is the upside down reflection of the nearby trees)






The dogs and I muscled our way through the throngs of ducks and geese milling around the grain pans, stuffing their faces.  To say they are a confident, greedy bunch is an understatement.














August is such a hot, dusty month here, but when the sun begins to set, the light turns everything golden.  This is my favorite time of day.










When we reached the willows on the dam, I checked out the blackberries to see what was left of them.  Surprisingly, although the older fruit is drying up, there still are a lot of the plump beauties still ripening up.  Standing there, contentedly picking berries with my right hand and holding my glass of wine in my left, it was only a matter of a few moments to wonder what the berries would taste like in the glass.







And so I began dropping them in, one by one.  No, I didn't wash the berries first, and yup, now there really were a few "floaties" in there.  Nothing too dramatic though; just a bit of cottonwood fluff and some of the dried flower stamens.  No worries.  I have no problem ingesting a small amount of nature from time to time -- and I did check for things like bugs and small spiders floating around (even I have my limits).



 
  

The first sip was the best.  I can attest to the fact that Riesling flavored with fresh blackberries "works."  After that first sip, though, I just wanted to get to the berries themselves.  The berries steeped in wine were better than the wine steeped in berries. 





I'd planned to save a few for Bruce for when he got home.  But this was not to be -- the ducks and geese have nothing on me:  I'm greedy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment