Pond!

Pond!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

One nice thing about working in the orchard garden is that it borders the long drive to the house, so I can see the road and anyone coming up the driveway. Out here in the sticks this doesn't happen too often, so when a white car slowed I stopped my digging. And when it actually turned up the drive and I saw two friendly looking women in the front seats, I hurried, all curious, over to the fence to see what they wanted and wondering if I knew them even though they looked unfamiliar.
"Can I help you?" I asked.
The older of the two women smiled and said, "Hi, we're with the Evangelical Church..." She may not have started exactly like this and she definitely said more, but, once it was spoken, my brain never made it past the word "Evangelical." I slipped instantly into my smiling no thank yous. No, please don't leave me with any literature either. Thank you. Good bye.
They had to drive up and around the circular drive to leave, and on the way out they slowed again and complimented my garden. More smiles. Thank you. And off they went.
As I went back to planting tomatoes, I was amused by how let-down I felt when I learned my visitors' identities. And I would have loved to have chatted -- only the topics couldn't have been God, heaven or salvation. I just wanted to talk about gardens, and planting stuff and what a pretty June day it was. I suppose that this is as close as I really need to get to God, heaven, or salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment